Monday, January 28, 2013

Pazz & Jop 2012

The Village Voice published its yearly wrap of the best music of 2012 a couple of weeks ago. Here is my list of favorite albums and singles.



I have, again, proudly chosen a few songs that nobody else did. (And even one album: Karriem Riggins's Alone/Together.)

Here are the tracks that apparently nobody else in the universe dug like I did:

Lambchop, "Mr. Met":

Perfume Genius, "Dark Parts":

Japandroids, "Younger Us":

Four Tet, "Locked":

And wouldn't you know it? The Voice also saw it fit to publish a comment I penned. Here it is:

Channel Orange is a record that critics laud despite having a difficult time pigeonholing. In late December, I went to my local record store in Denver and was shocked to find the album in the rap section. It's probably an r&b effort, yes, and all of the bluster about Ocean's reinvention of the genre isn't all that over the top. From Pitchfork to People, it's the rare release the connects with a wide swath of the populace.


No comments: